Subject: Re: [relax-ng] Implementation of restrictions on interleave

The object of the third through fifth bullets is to ensure that for any
pattern <interleave>p1 p2</interleave> there is no possibility of a string
matching both a leaf-pattern in p1 and a leaf-pattern in p2 (by leaf
<list>).   To guarantee no possibility of such a match, we have to ensure
that there is no string that can match no matter what the context is.

If we allow p1 and p2 to contain leaf-patterns with different datatypes,
then there is no way to implement this restriction, because datatype
libraries provide no way to compare the sets of strings that might be
matched by different datatypes.  Similarly there is no way to determine
whether two <data> elements with different parameters overlap.  But if we
constraint all <data> elements to have the same datatype and same
parameters, then if a <data> element occurs in both p1 and p2, the
interleave pattern will necessarily fail to match the restriction. The
remaining case is something like

<interleave>
  <data type="token">
    <param name="pattern">[a-z]+</param>
  </data>
  <value type="token">#none</value>
</interleave>

We could almost allow this except for one problem I will discuss below,
however it's easier to simply disallow list//interleave//data.

If we disallow data and we require consistent datatypes, is it possible to
check the restriction in the first paragraph? The answer is yes, because
datatypeEqual is an equivalence relation (see 6.2.8).  Suppose we have a
pattern <interleave>p1 p2</interleave> and suppose <value type="t"
datatypeLibrary="d" ns="n1">s1</value> occurs in p1 with context c1 and
<value type="t" datatypeLibrary="d" ns="n2">s2</value> occurs in p2 with
context c2.  Suppose we have a string s3 and a context c3 such that s3
matches both of the value elements wrt c3.  That means that we have

datatypeEquals(t, d, s3, c3, s1, context(n1, c1))

and

datatypeEquals(t, d, s3, c3, s2, context(n2, c2))

Thus by applying the rules (datatypeEqual symmetric) and (datatypeEqual
transitive) we obtain:

datatypeEqual(t, d, s1, context(n1, c1), s2, context(n2, c2))

Therefore in order to check that the restriction in the first paragraph
applies it is sufficient to ensure there is not a <value> pattern v1
occurring in p1 and <value> pattern v2 occurring in p2 such that the
strings in v1 and v2 compare equal using the normal contexts of v1 and v2
(i.e. the context used for comparing the equality of each of v1 and v2 is
the context that would be used when each of v1 and v2 is matched against a
string in the instance).  The reason I didn't state it that way is because
it is hard without formalism to state the context used for comparing the
values and also because I wanted to emphasize the similarity with the
element/attribute/text case.  It would probably be helpful to add a note
after the fourth bullet saying that this restriction together with the fact
that datatypeEqual is symmetric and transitive allows the third bullet to
be checked simply by comparing the <value>s in p1 and p2 for equality.

Going back to <data>, we don't have any rule at the moment that says that
datatypeAllows is consistent wrt to datatypeEqual (i.e. if two things are
datatypeEqual, then either both should be allowed or neither should be
allowed).  If we had this, I think we could allow one operand of the
interleave to contain <value> while the other operand contained <data> such
that the <value> was not allowed by the <data>, but I don't think this is
worth it.

--On 25 October 2001 00:08 +0900 MURATA Makoto <EB2M-MRT@asahi-net.or.jp>