Subject: Re: [relax-ng] close schema language

MURATA Makoto wrote:

> Eric van der Vlist wrote:
>

>>Schematron is the only language I know where "everything which is not
>>forbidden is allowed", the main principle of the other languages being
>>rather that "everything which is not allowed is forbidden" which, by
>>itself, is "closed".
>>

> This is what I meant by assertion-based, but probably I was not clear.

Sorry, I had misunderstood what you meant.

> I wrote:
>

>>But I have always wondered why Rick Jelliffe opposes to other languages.
>>What he calls "closed" is not a hangover from DBMS.  Does he really think
>>DocBook and TEI are such hangovers?  "Closed" content models are sometimes
>>(or often) required.
>>

> This is my main point.  I think that lack of closedness is also a disadvantage.
> For example, I am not aware of any data binding tools for Schematron.  I do not
> think it is easy to develop them, since Schematron does not provide closed content
> models.

I am not aware of any such tool either, OTH, as I read your lines, it
rings a bell: I had done in the past some experiences to use XSLT as a
data binding tool [1] and some of this trivial stuff could be adapted to
Schematron.

That's funny how the contrast between closed and open models are, in a
sense, a contrast between schema languages and XSLT.

[1] http://4xt.org/downloads/examples/xmlbinder/

Thanks

Eric

--