Subject: Re: [relax-ng] New article on RELAX NG vs W3C XML Schema

I forwarded the excellent XML.com article to the
XML/edi Group.

I thought Betty's comments here an excellent
adjunct.

DW.

From:	Betty Harvey, INTERNET:harvey@eccnet.com
To:	, INTERNET:xmledi-group@disa.org

Date:	1/24/2002  9:57 PM

RE:	Re: [relax-ng] New article on RELAX NG vs W3C XML Schema

Actually, the lion's share are using DTD's and are waiting to see what
happens with Schemas.  The clients that I have who had developed Schemas
have contacted me 'after the fact' and are now trying to figure out
how to use them |-).

I know DTD's are not 'politically correct' but they work and have a long
history (as long as EDI) and are suitable for most applications.

Before organizations decide to blindly follow Schema (W3C, RelaxNG or
whatever) or DTD's they need to define their requirements. I am finding
that organizations are blindly following Schema because of the hype
without real information.

We have seen so much hype revolving around XML in the last few years.
The real success stories are the ones that looked at their requirements
and used XML where it fit their business model.  We have seen some
major failures where organizations were not well informed!

XML is really cool and can be used in many useful and productive ways that
no one has even thought of yet but when organizations are sold a 'bill of
goods' it can lead to failure.

Before XML can be deployed successfully a real understanding of the
business models and information is required.  The schema (W3C, RelaxNG,
XML Data Reduced, ...)  or DTD or whatever is just the vehicle for
identifying and processing information in a standardized way.

Betty

Betty Harvey, XML Consultant,        | Phone: 410-787-9200 FAX: 9830
Electronic Commerce Connection, Inc. |
harvey@eccnet.com                    | Washington,DC SGML/XML Users Grp