Subject: Re: [relax-ng] Re: DOM Level 3 AS

kohsuke.kawaguchi@sun.com wrote:

> I would say trying to change AS to support RELAX NG will be a complete
> rewrite of the spec. For example, they assume that every element
> declaration has a name.

This is not the case for W3C XML Schema either except if you give
arbitrary names to anonymous element declarations... which could be done
for RELAX NG too!

> In my experience, if you want to be abstract enough, you cannot be more
> concrete than the Acceptor model of MSV (com.sun.msv.verifier.Acceptor).

This could be submitted as a W3C Note then ;=) ...

> This is so abstract that it's pretty useless for anything but validation.
> Yet this is not abstract enough to support Schematron.

Schematron is a different kind of beast, IMO.

> One can try to abstract validation as a function of a document and a
> schema:
>
> function validation( schema, document ) : boolean
>
> But this doesn't capture the infoset augmentation aspect of many schema
> languages.

I might be wrong, but reading the spec I got the impression that DOM
Level 3 AS has little sympathy for W3C XML Schema and was often more
interested by DTDs or RDMDSs and that there might be an opportunity to
introduce RELAX NG here...

DOM Level 3 AS doesn't capture the infoset augmentation from W3C XML
Schema and it's quite similar to what you're describing above at the
level of the information items: it's more "tell me if I can change this
item to this value" than "say all you need about this item".

Thanks

Eric

--
Rendez-vous a Paris pour mes formations XML/XSLT.
                                           http://dyomedea.com/formation/