Subject: Re: [relax-ng] Re: DOM Abstract Schemas revisited

> I may have missed something, but I have not understood the AS spec in
> this way :) ...
>
> I think that when they write about editing AS schemas, they mean "editing
> (AS schemas)" ie an API to edit a new kind of beast called an AS schema
> and do not pretend to provide an abstract API to edit any kind of schema.

I disagree.  The DOM has requirements for editing DTDs and XML Schemas not
some new kinf of beast.  The WD says:

"In the October 9, 1997 DOM requirements document, the following appeared:
"There will be a way to determine the presence of a DTD. There will be a
way to add, remove, and change declarations in the underlying DTD (if
available). There will be a way to test conformance of all or part of the
given document against a DTD (if available)." In later discussions, the
following was added, "There will be a way to query element/attribute (and
maybe other) declarations in the underlying DTD (if available),"
supplementing the primitive support for these in Level 1.

That work was deferred past Level 2, in the hope that XML Schemas would be
addressed as well. It is anticipated that lowest common denominator general
APIs generated in this chapter can support both DTDs and XML Schemas, and
other XML abstract schemas down the road."

If they were trying to create such a beast, they would have a lot more work
to do.  For a start, they would have to define the semantics of their
schema language, which I see no attempt at in the WD.

> These are 2 different beasts and both are needed!

I don't think there is any requirement for the kind of thing you are
suggesting. I believe that what users need is the ability to edit DTDs and
XML Schemas (and RELAX NG).