Subject: RE: [relax-ng] suggested datatype library types

A datatypeLibrary for ebXML will probably be quite useful in the business
domain but I don't think it falls under the charter of the RELAX NG TC to
produce one.

James and Kohsuke have already produced a vendor-independent interface for
creating datatype libs for RELAX NG. See
http://thaiopensource.com/relaxng/jing.html and/or download
http://thaiopensource.com/relaxng/datatype-sample.zip. Should make the work
easier for a seasoned Java programmer.

Mike

-----Original Message-----
From: David RR Webber - XMLGlobal [mailto:Gnosis_@compuserve.com]
Sent: Thursday, February 28, 2002 4:57 PM
To: RNG List

Mike,

I'm searching here for the "killer app'" for RELAX.

My sense is this is ebXML - since if ebXML can be more easily
implemented and supported using RELAX than schema - then
you have a compelling argument for adoption.

I would like to offer out therefore that we develop an
ebXMLdatatypeLibrary - that is specifically tuned to eBusiness
processes.

While this may be boring as dishwater from the theoretical stance
(maybe not!) - it would give RELAX focused users.   Actually I suspect
that creating the library will be interesting since we need concise and
precise here to ensure uniform behaviour.  Notice DATETIME is
one area where the W3C approach gives undeterminate result sets
for certain conditions / comparisons - fixing that would certainly be
a plus - and then giving people all the common business types
directly - means easier implementation.

Thoughts?

Thanks, DW.
Message text written by Michael Fitzgerald

For the sake of discussion, here is a list of types -- taken from the list
of 44 XML Schema datatypes (simple types) -- that I think would be
essential
in a RELAX NG datatype library (a):

 string, token, int, long, short, double, ID, IDREF, IDREFS

And I think the following would be nice to have (b):

 normalizedString, byte, integer, decimal, boolean, Name, QName, NCName,
anyURI
<