Subject: Re: [relax-ng] Encoding declaration, MIME type

James Clark scripsit:

> However, "include" and
> "externalRef" seem to me to present a problem for this approach.  They take
> URIs as arguments and dereferencing a URI gives me a entity containing a
> sequence of bytes.

In fact dereferencing a URI is generally understood (though I cannot
lay my hands on specific textual authority at the moment) to return a
MIME entity-body; that is, a sequence of bytes plus a media type.
Thus "http://www.w3.org"; when dereferenced returns not only
21540 bytes (at present) but also the media type "text/html; charset=us-ascii".

The purpose of a media type is to provide just enough information to
allow the byte sequence to be deserialized into whatever form the
particular application demands.

> Thinking about this I was unclear what MIME type a RELAX NG schema in
> compact syntax should be sent as.  Would it be text/something or
> application/something? Murata-san, any thoughts on this?

As Makoto says, we can do what we want, but IMHO the appropriate media
type for RNC is text/plain, the same that would be used for any
programming language.  Programming-language texts are in general
meant to be human-readable, so text/* is appropriate, and they
contain in general no markup, which makes text/plain appropriate.

--
John Cowan <jcowan@reutershealth.com>     http://www.reutershealth.com