Subject: Re: [relax-ng] ooRelaxNG (was: Limitation ...)

On Fri, 07 Jun 2002 23:23:27 -0400 (EDT)
John Cowan <jcowan@reutershealth.com> wrote:

> Next question: what is the point of making the oi:class attribute
> in the instance mandatory?

In most o-o programming languages, when we declare a variable of some
class, we allow not only instances of this class but also instances
of its subclasses.  Thus, we cannot determine the type of an
object from the class of the parent object.  In fact, each object
typically has a pointer to its class.

I just mimicked this approach in my XML representation of instances.
Yes, instances do look very redundant, but this approach is very simple.
I am not sure if the overhead of specifying oi:class is really problematic.
From the beginning, XML is verbose.

--
MURATA Makoto (FAMILY Given) <EB2M-MRT@asahi-net.or.jp>