Subject: Re: [relax-ng] Discrepancy in treatment of pattern facet

In XSD, you get the effect of all patterns by using xs:restriction, e.g. if
S1 specifies P1 and S2 is derived by restriction from S2 and specifies P2,
then a valid string must match both P1 and P2.  See Part 2, section 4.3.4.3.

If we made multiple patterns mean any, then we wouldn't be able to
represent this in RELAX NG.  On the other hand, with the choice we made we
can represent all with multiple patterns and we can do any simply by
combining multiple regexes into a single regex by using |.