Subject: Re: [relax-ng] [Fwd: [xml-dev] Which next step for examplotron?]

On Mon, 2003-01-20 at 10:07, James Clark wrote:
> I was wondering how do you see the role of examplotron as compared to the
> role of a tool that can infer a schema from one or example instances, like
> Microsoft's XSD Inference tool (http://www.gotdotnet.com/team/xmltools/).

It can be seen as such a tool where the example instance is made
"persistent": instead of using it first time before "throwing it away"
and having to edit a schema to tweak and update it later on, the
instance has enough information to remain the source all over the life
cycle of the vocabulary.

> One could even imagine a schema inference tool supporting annotations in a
> special namespace in the example instances to allow the user to tweak the
> schema inference process...

That's exactly what examplotron is already!

For instance, in:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<foo xmlns:eg="http://examplotron.org/0/";
    eg:assert="sum(bar:percent)=100" >
    <percent eg:occurs="+">100</percent>
</foo>

eg:occurs and and eg:assert are annotations to define the number of occurrences and an additional XPath rule.

Eric

--
                         Generated by Signify v1.10.
                For this and more, visit http://www.debian.org/