Subject: Re: [relax-ng] Are following annotations forbidden after value andparam ?

On Thu, 2003-01-30 at 11:34, James Clark wrote:

> >> Why?
> >
> > To avoid that people need to check if the preceding pattern is "param"
> > or "value" when they want to write a following annotation: it seems
> > unecessary to impose this burden.
>
> value, which is a pattern, does allow >>.  You keep referring to "param" as
> a pattern, but it's not a pattern: a pattern is something that matches
> attributes and elements.

Yes, I guess I need to find a generic term for Relax NG "elements" in
the XML syntax! I don't like to use "element" since it's confusing,
"pattern" isn't accurate and saying "pattern, name class or param" is
too verbose!

Maybe "component" as defined in "4.7 include element"?

That also leads me to another question: do you have a list of components
considered as patterns?

It's obvious for some, but for instance, is "div" a pattern?

> >> is conceptually an operator that either
>
> - takes a pattern and an annotation and yields a name class, or
> - takes a name class and an annotation and yields a name class
>
> One could complicate this and extend >> to operate on an annotation and a
> parameter and yield a parameter, but I don't think it's a good idea.  The
> "normal" way to do annotations in the compact syntax is with a leading []
> and that works with param.  >> is a special additional way of doing
> annotations that works for patterns and name classes; having a special
> additional way for params that does always exactly the same thing as the
> normal way seems more confusing than helpful to me.

OK, I think I see your point!

Thanks

Eric

--