Subject: Re: [relax-ng] What about XML 1.1?

On Tue, 12 Oct 2004 17:56:18 -0400
Norman Walsh <ndw@nwalsh.com> wrote:

> I will quietly accept the SC34 WG1 decision, but I do not understand
> how an erratum along the lines I suggested could break any existing
> conformant implementation.

Your suggestion is as follows:

|>   All implementations must accept XML 1.0 characters. Implementations may
|>   choose to accept XML 1.1 documents, in which case the Name production must
|>   match xxx and etc. (enumerating the rules for 1.1 documents).

This does not break existing implementations, because it allows
implementations to choose XML 1.0 name characters or XML 1.1 name
characters.  However, this optionality hampers interoperability.
As far as I see it, we have seen that some options of XML (e.g., optional
fetching external DTD subsets) have caused enough interoperability
problems.

MURATA Makoto (FAMILY Given) <EB2M-MRT@asahi-net.or.jp>