Subject: RE: [relax-ng] Future of RELAX NG

Makoto,

Yes - it is work to submit the RNG spec' to OASIS member ballot - and given that ISO have already approved it - the value would not come solely from SDO adoption.

Notice that the OASIS staff ONLY promote specifications that have full member approval.   Therefore I strongly suggest we look at submitting RNG to member ballot - so that OASIS staff can then formally promote RNG - if that is our goal here.

The reason they did not reply to you is in part because of this factor - they cannot give any special treatment to specifications that are not OASIS approved standards.

Most other TC's are gaining OASIS member approval ballots on their way to ISO submission.  There is always one bird that fly's north it seems somewhere! ; -)

This would also garner RNG visibility on the website - and get us a docs.oasis-open.org/relax-ng area and wiki - all essential to better promotion.

I believe we already have grandfathered in committee spec' approval right now.  Not sure we ever did OASIS member review (I recall we may have) - if we did - then we are one very short step away from member adoption.

So the steps to OASIS approval would be - (this could start with 1) - but skip to 5) if grandfathered:

1) Re-format existing RNG spec' to latest OASIS doc template - (cut and paste job) - IPR statement - and RNG schemas - insert copyright statement.
2) TC level ballot to approve doc as committee spec' for OASIS member review.
3) Submit to 60 day OASIS member review.
4) After review - address comments (if any)
5) 3 verification / use statements from member companies
6) Submit to member ballot.

Actually an alternate plan - would be to have Apache.org adopt RELAX NG - which I believe would be a much more direct route to the user community?  I've not had any success reaching the inner sanctum at Apache in the past - but maybe some of our members here have personal contacts they can leverage?

DW

"The way to be is to do" - Confucius (551-472 B.C.)