Subject: RE: [relax-ng] Future of RELAX NG

Makoto,

That was then - this is now - I think that OASIS members would be very favourable to a full standard vote.

There are now 300+ members - so you need 15% - around 50+ votes - but I believe you will get these without too much trouble.

Also - negative votes need to state credible reason(s) why they are voting against - they cannot just vote no without substanciating that.

I believe we can obtain full OASIS standard status for RELAX NG.

The only hurdle that I envision is obtaining 3 statements of use from OASIS member companies.  These can be very simple - just stating that they have successfully used RELAX NG in some capacity - but in practice I've found it takes some work and requests - before they occur - just takes people sometime to get sign-off on these.

Looks like for our own team here we should be able to get two right away - so the third should not be too hard.

But once we have those 3 statements - then I believe you have most everything else you need already developed.

Thanks, DW

"The way to be is to do" - Confucius (551-472 B.C.)

-------- Original Message --------
From: "MURATA Makoto (FAMILY Given)" <eb2m-mrt@asahi-net.or.jp>
Date: Mon, April 02, 2007 9:51 pm
To: relax-ng@lists.oasis-open.org

David,

I have never thought about that, but it might be a very good idea to
publish RNG as an OASIS standard.

When RELAX NG was started, James and I thought that the committee
spec status is good enough and that the standard status is probably
difficult, since some member companies will oppose.

How do people feel?  OASIS has about 80 members.  We need "Yes"
votes from 12 members.  Having seen the list of members, I am not
so optimisic.  Moreover, "No" votes from 12 members are good enough
to turn down the proposed standard.

http://www.oasis-open.org/committees/process.php#3.4

MURATA Makoto (FAMILY Given) <EB2M-MRT@asahi-net.or.jp>