Subject: Re: [relax-ng] Including a schema more than once without causing errors

> Seems to me that the safest solution is that proposed by John Cowan: to
> allow multiple definitions without the combine attribute only when the
> right-hand side of the multiple definitions are identical.

If we adopt this approach, we have to exactly define when two
definitions are identical.

I believe that RELAX NG validators start normalization immediately after
reading each define statement.  Thus, some implementations assume

  foo = (bar, empty) | bar

and

  foo = bar

are identical, while others do not.