rights-requirements message

Subject: Re: [rights-requirements] Statement of Examples SC

Thomas,

DeMartini, Thomas wrote:

>Anne, I don't think the Example SC disagrees with you.  They are not
>saying, as you are not saying, that the Spec and Examples SCs should not
>work in parallel: they should.  They are saying that the Requirements
>and Example SCs should not work in parallel until there is an approved
>Requirements document.  Once there is an approved requirements document
>the Spec and Examples SC can work in parallel on the process you
>describe and the Requirements SC can make additions/changes to the
>Requirements document as appropriate.

Sigh, and I had such hopes that we were on the same page.

All the statement I drafted says is that examples can be meaningfully
answered only if there is a specification that is regarded as stable
enough for consideration by the TC. I am not sure how that leads to the
conclusion that a requirements document must be approved before that
happens. I think Anne's point that some informal answering of examples
could lead to greater understanding of XrML in the meantime is a very
good one.

Let's just be brutally honest. The SC charged with preparing the
specification for TC approval has simply stopped functioning on the
basis of not having an "approved" requirements documents. There are both
practical as well as theoretical reasons for that position. There are
also less generous explanations for that behavior. On the other hand,
the Requirements SC wants examples to be completed so requirements can
be evaluated. Not unreasonable, and as I pointed out in the statements
for the Examples SC, there are equally reasonable considerations to not
answer the examples as part of the requirements process. I am certain
less generous explanations exist for the behavior of both the
Requirements and Examples SCs respectively.

The current situation looks to me more and more like some sort of
Mexican standoff and I personally don't think that continuation of it is
likely to lead to a conclusion that is acceptable to anyone. I can
honestly say that if the current specification draft came for a vote
today, not only would the SBL vote against it but would actively
campaign both within the TC and OASIS for its defeat as an OASIS
standard. Having said that, as in all OASIS TCs, the TC process, if
allowed to go forward in a meaningful fashion by all members of the TC,
could and should lead to the SBL changing that position and actually
favoring and campaigning for the adoption of the committee
specification. But we are never going to get to that point if SCs or
individuals decide to simply wait each other out.

I really don't have the cycles required to also participate in the
Examples SC but I am doing so in hopes that by crossing the "turf lines"
in this TC that it might lead to some semblance of the cooperation that
I have found in other TCs. Perhaps I am just overly optimistic or naive.
Or perhaps my efforts are "irrelevant" as described by one commentator
on our process.

Personally I think commentators who contribute nothing to the standards
process are the ones who are "irrelevant." I would like to see greater
cooperation in the TC prove that I am correct in that opinion.

I will try to post additional comments next week on how to use the
statement of the Examples SC as a way to go forward (constructively) in
this TC.

Hope everyone is having a great day!

Patrick

--