Subject: Re: [rights] getting started on requirements

BobG writes:

> Specifically, the best way to achieve broad consensus and buy-in
> on a DRML is to...

JSE: I vote for the generalized term "REL" (rights expression language...)

> 1)identify the relevant organizations

Two that I think are critical are WAP Forum and 3GPP. They have already been
quite active in the DRM standardization area, indeed appear to understand the
need for open DRM standards better than general purpose computing currently
does.

I have made contact with sources who might be able to suggest how to efficiently
and properly obtain the requirements of the wireless community...

Bob continues....
> My point here is that we have to be realistic about the
> schedule for collecting requirements from other standards
> efforts. If we don't give people sufficient time to do this
> according to their own processes, they will not buy into
> the idea that our TC is going to speak for them....

JSE: Frankly, I felt that the schedule proposed during the meeting was absurd,
if we are AT ALL serious about gathering requirements that address our mission,
as captured in the charter. Indeed, I think it would be absurd even if we were
only considering MPEG requirements!

John