Subject: RE: [rights] An effort to clear up the confusion over CG patent c laims

Title: RE: [rights] An effort to clear up the confusion over CG patent claims

Hi Brad,

Like Bob DuCharme, I liked most of what you wrote below but had a slight problem with one sentence.

I'm guessing that you were trying to bait someone with this; perhaps it was even me...  :-)

OK; I'll bite.  ("Fools rush in ..." and all that.)  When you say "XrML represents an instance of a rights language (and the best one created to date).", this clearly depends upon how a "rights language" is defined.  I would contend that if it is defined as broadly as paragraph (1) of the RL TC charter, then XrML is not "the best one created to date".  XACML has a number of features that make it superior to XrML in many environments.  It also is missing some things that XrML has.  The point is that they both have their strengths and their deficiencies.  Neither one is "the best one created to date"; which one is better really depends on the requirements of a given environment or application.

I have no intention of starting a long thread on this topic.  It's just that you stated one opinion, so I thought I'd state another.

Carlisle.