Subject: RE: [rights] tyranny of the majority but no consensus

At 07:42 PM 9/19/2002 -0700, Radbel, Dmitry wrote:
Actually, the first TC chair responsibility listed in the OASIS TC Guidelines is to "keep the TC moving towards completion of its charter, on schedule." In the long list of TC chair's duties there is nothing about reaching consensus (surely it's desirable but not always possible).

So let's just address this one point -- is the Chair keeping the TC moving toward completion of its charter?   It looks like a substantial number of the TC's members believe he has not -- if you focus on the first goal of the charter, which is to:

Define the industry standard for a rights language that supports a wide variety of business models and has an architecture that provides the flexibility to address the needs of the diverse communities that have recognized the need for a rights language.
                                     XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Many people are saying that it appears to them that the only "community" whose requirements seem to matter is the MPEG club.  Hari's recent actions have certainly reinforced their belief.

And thus it comes down to this -- if we were to have a vote today of all the members of this TC who are allowed to vote -- and not in a hastily called voice vote but in an email vote conducted over the next few days -- do you believe that Hari would receive a vote of "confidence" to remain as chairman from a majority of the eligible members?  I do not think so.

I am not yet calling for such a vote, because while I have the right to do so I believe it is unprecedented in OASIS TC-hood and it would fatally cripple this committee, wasting much of the work that all of us have done this summer.  I have instead expressed my advice in numerous (unanswered) emails to Hari that he take charge of this committee to focus on this first goal of the charter rather than give in to the pressure to "get something out" that doesn't meet the needs of anyone but MPEG.  He didn't answer so I decided to take my concerns to the "rights" list -- and he still hasn't addressed the concerns.  Unless he does this soon this TC will remain hopelessly deadlocked.

bob glushko