Subject: [rights] the cut-off date for requirements submission

At 10:45 AM 9/20/2002 -0700, DeMartini, Thomas wrote:

[PD] I can't cite the minutes of the most recent meetings, which have not been posted to the website but it has been reported to me that on

September 18, 2002 the Rights TC voted to adopt the requirements that
had been filed and "dispositioned" as of August 7, 2002. You don't find

[TD] My understanding of the motion and vote was to only adopt requirements that had been filed as of August 7, 2002.  No hard date was set in the motion for when they had to be "dispositioned" by, only that the process for disposition (in order to "disposition" them by some unspecified date prior to October 15, 2002) shall be concensus.

Thomas,
   The source of the conflict in recent days has to do with the vote to retroactively choose August 7 as the cut off date.  Two very important requirements documents were submitted just a few days after August 7 with the agreement of the requirements subcommittee that they would be included in a version 1 specification.

 "Supporting Limits on Copyright Exclusivity in a Rights Expression Language Standard. A Requirements Submission to the OASIS Rights Language TC." By Deirdre K. Mulligan and Aaron Burstein, with John Erickson (Principal Scientist, Digital Media Systems Lab, Hewlett-Packard Laboratories). August 13, 2002.

Enshrining Fair Use in DRM: Submission to the OASIS Rights Technical Committee. By: Cory Doctorow (Electronic Frontier Foundation). August 14, 2002.

The requirements subcommittee spent several hours discussing the first of these (and is nearly finished) but has yet to consider the second.  I believe that we'd have considerable more harmony if we could all agree that rather than push these two documents off into the infinite future we'd deal with them in the spec now.

bob