saf message

Subject: Possible TC Actions to Consider

I agree with Dave - a Cloud profile helps us have an interesting scenario and to also piggyback in the Cloud "buzz", which could help disseminate our group. For this reason I would assign it a high priority in our list.

On the same train of thought we could think of a number of other interesting applications, such as Social Networking / Knowledge Management, SOA, Virtualization / Appliances, Grid, Green Computing, etc.

Other than that I think we should also pay attention soon to Systems Management despite being "bread and butter" - and at the same time address the differences between us and the CDM work from DMTF... which is a question that has already been brought up by others commenting on symptoms...

And there are many other interesting scenarios too which we have discussed in the past in our pre-standard meetings, and Industry-related scenarios would be good to have in our repertoire as well. We wouldn't be able to address all these with depth but the idea of having mini-scenarios for understanding and dissemination (and to maybe "seed" other sub-initiatives) is probably a good thing.

In connection with this expanded scenario list we should also discuss strategies for marketing and expansion to promote growth in our group. Our first mission I believe should be to make people notice this initiative and get them interested on possible applications and start forming a larger community. This agrees well with the concept of being a "broad" and generic specification.

Marcelo Perazolo
IBM Systems Director
IBM Corporation
phone: +1-919-5438491
email: mperazol@us.ibm.com

Inactive hide details for David Snelling ---10/29/2009 05:41:16 AM---Folks, I have commented of the naming issue, but not the CDavid Snelling ---10/29/2009 05:41:16 AM---Folks, I have commented of the naming issue, but not the Cloud Profile:

David Snelling <David.Snelling@UK.Fujitsu.com>

"Lipton, Paul C" <Paul.Lipton@ca.com>

<saf@lists.oasis-open.org>

10/29/2009 05:41 AM

Re: [saf] Possible TC Actions to Consider

Folks,

I have commented of the naming issue, but not the Cloud Profile:

I am strongly in favor of doing a Cloud Profile of Symptoms, probably at the IaaS level. Within the DMTF and OGF there are activities that provide us with domain specific schema, etc. I suggest we consider, as Pual suggests, a "test" of the system. This would not need to be a normative deliverable of the TC, but possibly part of a primer or suchlike. This should not then interfere with our charter, but give us something cloud-like to socialize the spec with. The next question, should you all like this idea, is what scenario should we look at describing in Symptoms terminology?

Talk to you tonight.