sam-comment message

Subject: Comments on SAM Threshold Sharing Schemes document

Hi all,

Congratulations to the TC on publishing its first Committee Specification!
I'm glad to see this work proceeding, as a very useful source for implementable algorithms.

TheÂitems below are not official public review comments, since the comment period has closed.

While preparing this for publication, I noted a few issues with the document:

1) In 2.2.1, the text includes "with the constraint that m  n  255."
- I think this mistakenly uses Âthe pound sign Â, the symbol for the pound sterling,
- It appears that the intent is to indicate "less than or equal to", typically represented by "â".
- I cannot find any material on the Internet which refers to the use of the pound symbol to represent "less than or equal to".
- This also appears in sections 2.3.1, 2.3.2, and D.2

2) As noted by Chet, the text includes (as part of the normative Appendix E) some executable Cryptol code. Based on OASIS rules, any machine-readable content (Computer Language Definitions [1]) declared Normative for a Work Product must be provided in separate plain text files.
- Given that one of the stated purposes of the SAM TC is to "Enable referencing of new algorithms and methods such that their use may be interoperable" [2], it would appear to be very helpful to that goal if the TC provided the expected separate files, rather than leaving potential users to screen-scrape the code files and text vectors.

3) The Informative reference for Cryptol should probably be a Normative reference, since the code examples are normative. Also, it would likely be helpful to specify the use of Cryptol version 2, since it is significantly different from version 1, and the code blocks are formatted for version 2.

[1] https://www.oasis-open.org/policies-guidelines/tc-process#wpComponentsCompLang
[2] https://www.oasis-open.org/committees/sam/

Best regards,
Paul