saml-dev message

Subject: RE: [saml-dev] notBefore/notOnOrAfter unnecessary?

Hi Prateek,

I realize that validity checking is crucial in the Browser/POST profile,
where the source and destination sites are not communicating in real time.
But in the Browser/Artifact profile, where the responder is responding in
real time, and is mandated to check the timeliness of the artifact himself
(584-588 of the May 31 Bindings and Profiles document), I maintain that
requiring the destination site to also make a validity period check is
unnecessary, and as we have seen, will be a common stumbling block.

If there's an attack I'm missing, I'd like to hear about it.  In any case,
it's not clear from the Bindings document whether the Conditions/NotBefore
and NotAfter elements are required, or whether the destination site is
simply required to process them if they exist.  This should at least be
clarified.  But it looks like the last call has ended, so this is all just
hypothetical..

Trevor

-----Original Message-----
From: Mishra, Prateek [mailto:pmishra@netegrity.com]
Sent: Thursday, June 20, 2002 9:13 AM
To: 'Trevor Perrin'; saml-dev@lists.oasis-open.org

Trevor,

This type of checking is a key part of the web browser profile.
Please review the threat model in the bindings document. Small
changes to security protocols almost always break them.

I will publish later today a list of do's and dont's that we distilled
out from the rehearsal. I will incorporate these into a new draft of
the interOp document.

- prateek