saml-dev message

Subject: RE: [saml-dev] Interop event

Hi Paul,

The standard flow demonstrated was:
 - user goes to portal
 - user authenticates with password
 - user chooses some link for a partner
 - user redirected to transfer site
 - user redirected to receiver site
 - receiver retrieves assertion from responder
 - receiver redirects to application

This demonstrates a user moving from a portal site to a partner, i.e.
content provider.  But Sigaba's content provider application required the
user to start at the content provider, then be redirected to the portal or
transfer site to authenticate, then return, ie:
 - user goes to application
 - user redirected to transfer site (or portal)
 - user authenticates with password
 - user redirected to transfer site (if not already there)
 - user redirected to receiver site
 - receiver retrieves assertion from responder
 - receiver redirects to application

This required some coordination between Sigaba and other vendors, since our
application needed to pass some sort of session identifier to the
transfer/portal site and get it back, and since we needed to pass them a
parameter identifying our application (cause the user wasn't clicking on a
link to choose).  It's a testament to the graciousness of the other vendors
and the flexibility of SAML that they were able to support this case.

Trevor