saml-dev message

Subject: RE: [saml-dev] Is a separate "ArtifactReceiver" required?

There are two different issues being discussed here.

(1) The use of TARGET on the query string is mandated by the web browser
profiles. The source and destination site can agree on what this means
(including just ignoring it). As Scott suggests this may not be always
ideal, but I don't see it as breaking existing functionality or otherwise
getting in the way.

(2) There is a separate issue of "re-directing" users from the destination
site to the source site. This is typical when users access a resource first,
and, if I understand it correctly, Shiboleth and Liberty Alliance have
formalized such a flow. Some of the demonstrators at the Catalyst Demos
added this flow to the standard SAML
Source --> Destination site flows.

But there is no discussion of this flow in current web browser profile
binding.

So the question now becomes, do we want to add such a flow to SAML 1.1?
Or is it too broad an expansion of the scope of SAML 1.1?

To help decide that, let me outline the simplest such flow:
(1) User accesses resource at destination site

No normative requirements here

(2) User is re-directed to an assertion creation URL at source site

   <HTTP-Version> 302 <Reason Phrase>
   <other headers>
   Location: http://assertion_creation_URL?..TARGET=xxxx...
   etc.

(3) Assertion creation URL interacts with user if no user session available
or whatever

No normative requirements here.

(4) User is re-directed back to the destination site in the usual way

Follow Step 2 from existing profiles (4.1.1.4 or 4.1.2.4)

[Often the assertion creation URL and the inter-site transfer URL are
identical but it may aid the specification to separate the concepts]

Jehan, am I correct in that this was the flow used at the demo? I dont know
that there are any other requirements other than this flow.

- prateek