saml-dev message

Subject: RE: [saml-dev] Encoding of URI in "Alternative SAML Artifact Form at"

>>> UTF-8 is my encoding of choice for a possible implementation.
>>> The RFC2396 Yuri pointed out uses US-ASCII as default for
>>URI's, so that
>>> UTF-8 is correct for the US-ASCII subset and the best
>>choice if other
>>> characters might appear in URI's in the future.
>>
>>Yes, I agree that UTF-8 SHOULD be the default charset for  '
>>SourceLocation'  URI.
>>However, if 'SourceLocation' isn't used by a destination site
>>to specify
>>the  source site's identity , it is not REQUIRED because the
>>destination
>>site just uses it  to retrieve assertion and the source site
>>must have
>>already known what charset is used for 'SourceLocation'.

The source and destination site must have out-of-band agreed upon a
relationship before the artifact arrives. In this sense, there is no
"specification of the source-sites identity" through the artifact. But the
specification should clearly explain the standard way characters are mapped
to bytes and vice-versa. This is where UTF-8 should be recommended.

- prateek mishra