saml-dev message

Subject: RE: [saml-dev] Constrain existing ID attributes?

I'm not (yet) very comfortable with this change.

The SAML-defined AssertionID, RequestID, etc. are of type saml:IDType, which
is, of course, of type xsd:string. On the surface, further restricting them
doesn't seem like a huge deal.

While specific mechanisms are left to implementation, the spec does,
however, provide clear guidance on how to ensure the uniqueness of these
ID's. The current suggestion is to perform a Base64 encoding of a
pseudorandom number with specific randomness characteristics.

This is the mechanism we employ in our implementation; using a
cryptographic-strength 160-bit PRN that's Base64 encoded.  So clearly, the
Base64 encoding will cause us problems and thus our IDType generation code
would have to be changed.  Sure, we could hack it by prepending a valid
xsd:ID starting character(s) (e.g. "_", "ID"), but that seems a bit hackish.

I'm not saying we can't do it since it would probably be a relatively minor
code change.  But I want to evaluate the strength of my gag reflex before
agreeing to the proposal.

Is the proposal to completely remove the IDType and IDReferenceType simple
types?  If so, that's a bit more invasive change to the specs and schema.

Or can it/will it be done by redefining these simple types?

We also need to consider that this change will possibly impact some Liberty
implementations.  All of those implementers are probably not covered by
checking with the saml-dev list?

Rob Philpott
RSA Security Inc.
The Most Trusted Name in e-Security