saml-dev message

Subject: RE: [saml-dev] Any work on WSDL for restricted SAML responder?

> This seems problematic since both of these element are encapsulated 2
> or 3 levels below the Request and Response elements, so there is no
> easy way to indicate this in the WSDL Message elements. The only way
> I can think of would be to define new restricted versions of Request
> and Response, which sounds hideous.

This is something I was wondering about, yes.

The basic question is before us as to how to add new protocol exchanges to
SAML, and I think we need to be consistent...either the proper thing is to
extend/replace the outer elements to carry the payload, making it directly
SOAP-visible, or we treat the SAML protocol as the real substrate, and we
put the payload inside Request and Response.

That having been said, we would be better served by moving all of the
protocol pieces to SOAP, IMHO, and going halfway with it is not all that
useful to me. But I don't see that happening, since it would require SOAP to
provide things it simply doesn't without inventing headers.

The current design for Query is broken if we think that the "proper" thing
is to promote the payload to the outer edge, and should be changed.
Alternatively, the answer is that the WSDL can only define the "SAML
protocol" and the rest is encapsulated, and defined also by metadata (I
support X, Y, Z at this SAML protocol SOAP endpoint).

But the question of restricting statements in a resulting assertion is a
different one. We had a poor attempt to do this with RespondWith and it was
pretty well detested (by me anyway). As it is, there's not much that I can
see to do. The data model is Statements within an Assertion, and without
changing that...

-- Scott