saml-dev message

Subject: Re: [saml-dev] SAML 1.1 Technical Overview (11 May 2004)

Here's an alternative profile to section 4.3 that addresses the issues
mentioned below:

Browser/Artifact Profile, Destination-Site-First

1) The client accesses a secure resource at the destination site.

2) A security check causes the client to be redirected to the
authentication authority at the source site.*  A target parameter with
the URL of the secure resource is appended to the redirect URL.

3) The client requests the authentication authority as outlined in step 2.

4) The authentication authority challenges the user for credentials.

5) The user supplies the required credentials.

6) The authentication authority verifies the credentials, establishes
a security context at the source site, and redirects the client to the
inter-site transfer service along with the target URL.

7) The client requests the inter-site transfer service as outlined in step 6.

8) The inter-site transfer service redirects the client to the
assertion consumer service at the destination site.  The redirect URL
includes the target URL and the artifact.

9) The client requests the assertion consumer service as outlined in step 8.

10) The assertion consumer service requests an assertion from the
source site's artifact resulution service.

11) The artifact resolution service returns the required assertion(s).

12) The assertion consumer service creates a security context at the
destination site and redirects the client to the target resource.

13) The client requests the target resource (again).

14) The destination site performs a security check and returns the
resource to the client.

* This is the so-called "introduction problem"---in general, how does
the destination site know the principal's preferred source site?

Hope this helps,
Tom Scavo