saml-dev message

Subject: RE: [saml-dev] SAML 1.1 Technical Overview (11 May 2004)

> There isn't a standard way to do this, so the SPs and IdPs would need to
> agree on how to transport it.  For example, you could include it in the
> first section in the relay state (something that most IdPs would ignore)
> or you add another field to the data being sent ot the IdP.

There is the option in 2.0 to include a Subject/NameID in the AuthnRequest,
but it's not necessarily directly analagous to this use case.

> Of course, this depends on you knowing the IdPs that you ware willing
> to work with, but I think that's a given anyway since I assume you
> don't want to work with the IdP I have running down in my basement:-).

I agree with the overall sentiment, but in some of the academic use cases,
the number of trusted IdPs is extremely large (i.e. every university).
Displaying links just isn't reasonable.

-- Scott