saml-dev message

Subject: RE: [saml-dev] Logout from a single SP.

Agreed.

-----Original Message-----
From: Conor P. Cahill [mailto:concahill@xxxxxxx]
Sent: Tuesday, November 08, 2005 8:37 AM
To: Thomas Wisniewski
Cc: Giuseppe Sarno; Philpott, Robert; saml-dev@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Thomas Wisniewski wrote on 11/7/2005, 9:09 PM:

The intent of the spec suggests that the SP, say SPa, can initiate a logout
and that this would imply that the IDP would attempt to log out all sessions
(at all SPs) that were tied to the IDP session used to create the sessoin at
SPa.

I guess you are proposing one implementation where the IDP does not do this,
which I believe is allowed by the spec, as long as you return some
unsuccessful response.

No.  What you described is the correct behavior for when session index is
supplied and that is what the IdP should do.

I am saying that if the SP does not provide a session index to the IdP, the
IdP probably should *NOT* cancell authentication sessions at the IdP which
were *NEVER* associated with that SP.

Of course, given Scot's note in the SSO profile having a MUST for the
session index makes this somewhat moot, but that is how we got to this
point.

I was trying to clarifi that while the IdP can cancell all active
authentication sessions, I think an SP can only impact authentication
sessions that have had login sessions established at that SP.

Conor

Tom.