saml-dev message

Subject: RE: [saml-dev] SP --> IDP Auth

There's no way to ask that question either.

The SP essentially says to the IdP "Hey, who is this person".   The SP
can add on that request a flag that says "Hey, if you would need to
interact with the user to answer that question, I (the SP) would prefer
that you did not do so".  This flag (IsPassive) can cause the IdP to
return "No" to the SP's request when it might otherwise have been able
to say Yes (assuming the interaction would have been successful).

So one could argue in the case where the SP already has a relationship
with the user, that the IsPassive query that fails could be interpreted
as a "they haven't already authenticated" however, I would say that
since they are not authenticated, the SP really doesn't know it is the
user that they think it is, so again, they don't get information unless
there is success.

The key in all of this discussion is understanding exactly what the SP
is asking.  And it is much more along the lines of what I said above (SP
says to IdP "Hey, who is this person").  The SP does not say "Hey is
this person authenticated at your service" or "Did this person
previously authetnicate at your service".

One might say I am splitting hairs, but I think the distinction is
important.

Conor