saml-dev message

Subject: Re: [saml-dev] SAML, trust and WS.

   >...If I understood it right this Token is used as part of a
WS-security message to authenticate (and possibly authorize) a
user.

a security token isn't used "to authenticate" a user - as such. in
the context that you have described, the user was already
authenticated at some earlier point in time by some means or
another (according to some  security policy). the "Asserting
Party" (or "Security Token Service" or "IdP") then generates the
security token which sort of describes the outcome of an
authentication attemp. then the token is made available somehow to
the user/client. the user/client would then present the token to
the service provider. effectively, what the security token says to
the service provider is:

  "...dear service provider, the subject that this authentication
statement refers to has been authenticated (somehow; at some
point) and this-or-that asserting party (or STS or IdP) is a
witness to that. the asserting party's signature is included below
as proof that you can trust the claim being made in this here
statement..."

at least, that is how i see it. i would be grateful to hear some
expert feedback on my interpretation.