saml-dev message

Subject: RE: [saml-dev] safe value for AuthenticationInstant?

Our product sets to the AuthenticationInstant to the actual time that
the user authenticated at the IdP using the method reflected in the
assertion sent back to the SP.

This time would be very important to many SP applications that have
strict policies on the freshness of the user's authentication.  If the
IdP forces the user to authenticate on every visit to the IdP, then
using the current time, I suppose is accurate.  But that's not how most
IdP's should work.  If the user had previously authenticated at the IdP
due to an earlier interaction with some other SP, then sending an
assertion to another SP based on that earlier authentication but using
the current time for authn instant is IMO a BAD practice.

For example, an SP may want to use the authn instant to determine
freshness and if outside the bounds of its policy it might send the user
back to the IdP with the ForceAuthn flag set.

Rob Philpott
Senior Consulting Engineer
RSA Security Inc.
Tel: 781-515-7115