saml-dev message

Subject: RE: [saml-dev] Does an Authentication Context URN actually reference an XML file?

Thanks Scott for your reply.  If I may, I'd like to follow up to confirm that I understand correctly what you are saying.

Suppose an IdP sends to a Relying Party an Authentication Assertion which contains this:

        <AuthnContext>

            <AuthnContextClassRef>

                urn:oasis:names:tc:2.0:ac:classes:PasswordProtectedTransport

            </AuthnContextClassRef>

        </AuthnContext>

The URN does not indicate the name of a resource (XML file) that contains details about how the authentication was accomplished.

Correct?

The URN is just a label.  It is a label with this semantics “The subject was authenticated through the presentation of a password over a protected session.”

Correct?

Assuming that I have correctly understood, let me ask a new question:

Suppose that an IdP creates an XML document (let’s call it foo.xml) which conforms to saml-schema-authn-context-ppt-2.0.xsd (this is the schema that has as its targetNamespace the above URN), and foo.xml contains all the details about how a Subject was authenticated.  Suppose that the IdP wants to tell the Relying Party, “The subject was authenticated through the presentation of a password over a protected session, and if you want to see the authentication details then view foo.xml at this URL _____”.  How would this be expressed?

/Roger