saml-dev message

Subject: Re: [saml-dev] Seeking clarity on the Conformance specification,Table 2

On 6/20/06 7:57 AM, "Costello, Roger L." <costello@mitre.org> wrote:

> Hi Folks,
>
> I am not clear on what is being stated in Table 2 of the Conformance
> specification.
>
> Here is a snippet of Table 2:
>
> Feature                               |     IdP      |   SP
> Web SSO, <AuthnRequest>,  |   MUST   |   MUST
> HTTP redirect
>
> Question: how do I interpret this?  Is it saying,
>
> łTo be SAML 2.0 compliant, an Identity Provider (IdP) and a Service Provider
> (SP) MUST implement the Web Browser Single Sign-on (SSO) profile; a SP MUST be
> able to issue an Authentication Request (<AuthnRequest>) using the HTTP
> redirect mechanism.˛

Yes, basically.  Of course, this is sort of meaningless without the other
piece, which is the next row of Table 2:  Web SSO <Response>, HTTP POST.

Together, these two rows mean that the SP must:

- issue an AuthnRequest over the HTTP redirect binding

- perform all processing steps associated with the <Response> to achieve SSO

And an IDP must be able to

- consume the AuthnRequest and perform all the required processing steps.

- Issue a proper <Response> (or an error) according to the processing rules,
to achieve SSO.

If you want to see a greatly expanded discussion of the conformance
requirements, you could look at the SAML 2.0 Interoperability Testing
Procedures (currently at v1 but soon to be updated to v2) at

http://www.projectliberty.org/activities/conformance.php

second link on the right.

ET

Eric  Tiffany             |  eric@projectliberty.org
Interop Tech  Lead        |  +1 413-458-3743
Liberty Alliance          |  +1 413-627-1778 mobile