saml-dev message

Subject: RE: [saml-dev] Seeking a high-level understanding of the Name Identifier Mapping Protocol

Thanks for your response Scott.  I must admit that this paragraph in the Core specification totally threw me (section 3.8):

For example, a service provider that wishes to communicate with another service provider with whom it

does not share an identifier for the principal can use an identity provider that shares an identifier for the

principal with both service providers to map from its own identifier to a new identifier, generally encrypted,

with which it can communicate with the second service provider.

I (incorrectly) interpreted it to say, if SP#1 and SP#2 know a principal by different names, then they can request from an IdP the different names that a principal goes by.

Would you (or anyone) give the correct interpretation of this paragraph?

Thanks!  /Roger