saml-dev message

Subject: RE: [saml-dev] Distributed IDP model

> > 	[McCormick, Mike] Yes that's exactly what we'll be
> forced to do if
> > the SAML paradigm insists on viewing the IDP and CIA as one logical
> > entity and doesn't provide any standard interfaces for their
> > "internal" information exchanges.
> >
> > SAML does not insist on that.
>
> With all due respect to Conor, SAML as a standard definitely
> defines an IdP as something that contains all of that
> functionality.

Yes, but SAML doesn't stop the implementation of IdP & CIA as
two independent IdPs where the interfaces exposed and feature
set supported between IdP and CIA may be different (less feature
rich) than the interfaces between the CIA and the relying parties
while still being SAML compliant.  And that is the direction that
I think they should be moving in.

I was speaking to there being two logical parties, not in the
split-up of the internal implementation of an IdP.

Conor