saml-dev message

Subject: authentication

Hello!

For my diploma theses I am doing some research about the SAML authority. Now I have a question about authentication. How is this supposed to work? More concretely, how does the subject transport the credentials (e.g. user name and password) to the authentication authority? As far as I know, this is not possible with a SAML request. The specification says that "the <AuthnQuery> message MUST NOT be used as a request for a new authentication using credentials provided in the request." But I haven't found any description how the authentication itself and the transportation of the credentials should be realized.

Regards,

Manuel