saml-dev message

Subject: Re: [saml-dev] SAML2.0 implementations

Thanks a lot for all the information,

Talking about the clasification, sorry if what I am going to say has no sense but, despite the fact I have read some papers about all this stuff, I still get al little bit confused (I hope that's normal :-)), so I hope you can give me some light.

So, In the first level we have the vocabulary, the pure XML schema. We can find here SAML 1.1, SAML 2.0, Liberty, Shibboleth(?).... so schemes that are built above existing ones (I guess SAML is the common base of all of them). This level defines the vocabulary and the semantic meaning.

In the second level we have the profiles (?), so, what can be done using those schemes and how is done; for example, which are the steps must be performed to do a SSO or actions that are possible (defined) in one "tool" and not in another. So, Shibboleth defines one way for doing the things and Liberty another and SAML2.0 another. So, in that level it would be possible to classify the actions that are possible (SSO, federation,...).

Is that more or less right or I am complete lost?

Thanks a lot,

Isi,