saml-dev message

Subject: Re: [saml-dev] requesting Multiplication authentication methods

Are you looking for multi-factor authentication or multiple levels of assurance during the same session?

-dave

Vijay Kumar Mishra wrote:
Hi,

I was looking for ways to send request for multiple Authentication Methods for a single user. Example could be "Authentication user 'A' using user/password and kerberos and smartcard.  Apparently  SAML doesn't support this directly. Instead what I could gather is that there are two way to achieve this.
1. Create a custom Authentication method say "userPass-kerb-smart" where meaning of this method is mutually agreed upon by authentication requester and request receiver. This way one can create as many custom methods  with different combination.
2. As spec doc saml-authn-context-2.0 mentions in section 3.3 Extensibility, combine the existing classes and create new custom class.

I'm not clear about the second approach as how this will work. Can any one throw some light on this?

Thanks,
Vijay