saml-dev message

Subject: RE: [saml-dev] SAML2 metadata for a SAML1 IdP

> There's the rub.  The IdPs I have in mind don't support SAML protocol
> messages, they simply issue assertions.  The protocols and bindings
> used to transmit the assertions to SPs are totally outside the SAML
> specification.

That's true of WS-Federation too, but it didn't stop me from profiling
IDPSSODescriptor for it a couple of years back, and I don't think that was
the wrong decision.

I think there will be lots of metadata specs and it would be a mistake to
get too hung up on the meaning unless there's a concern over the effects on
implementations. As long as those concerns are taken into account, anything
goes.

-- Scott