saml-dev message

Subject: RE: [saml-dev] multiple attributes

I would also recommend the multiple value approach.

There may be implementations that process each attribute very independently and the second occurrence may simply overwrite the first.  Using a single multi-valued attribute makes it quite clear that the attribute has two values associated with it at the same time.

Rob Philpott

RSA, the Security Division of EMC
Senior Technologist | e-Mail: robert.philpott@rsa.com | Office: (781) 515-7115 | Mobile: (617) 510-0893

From: nitin dangwal [mailto:nitindangwal@gmail.com]
Sent: Monday, June 02, 2008 5:33 PM
To: Scott Cantor
Cc: Tom Scavo; SAML Developers

Well,

OASIS recommends two <attributeValue> elements for a single attribute is possible.

<AttributeValue>

[Any Number]

Contains a value of the attribute. If an attribute contains more than one discrete value, it isRECOMMENDED that each value appear in its own

<AttributeValue> element. If more than one <AttributeValue> element is supplied for an attribute, and any of the elements have a datatype assigned through xsi:type, then all of the <AttributeValue> elements must have the identical datatype assigned.

Although there are no restrictions as such.

Regards,

Nitin Dangwal

On 6/2/08, Scott Cantor <cantor.2@osu.edu> wrote:

> I can't find anything in any of the SAML specs that prohibits multiple
> occurrences of the same attribute in a SAML attribute assertion.  For
> example, if an IdP wished to assert two e-mail addresses, it seems the
> IdP could formulate one attribute with two values or two attributes
> (with the same name) each with a single value.  Am I interpreting this
> correctly?

Far as I know.

-- Scott