saml-dev message

Subject: Re: [saml-dev] Authentication Responses

Thanks Scott...

I may have misrepresented the situation a bit.

The proposal here is to have a link on the login page which would allow users to register if they don't have an account already. Normal flow for authntication however is to supply the credential and go back to the SP with an authentication response and assertion.

Part of the question is whether the saml specifications consider a user initiated action (such as clicking a link to perform a different action) to be a break in the saml authentication flow and therefore outside of the bounds of the specification; or whether they are stating that user navigations from the authentication flow need to result in navigating the user back to the SP with an authentication response.

It actually goes beyond registration as any links off of the login page have similar issues; as would users clicking on bookmarks... If the spec is saying that idps must always return authentication responses to authentication requests.

Clearly some user actions are out of scope for the idp, such as if a user clicks on a bookmark to an external site, like google.com. In these the idp no longer has access to the end user no can't send a response through browser bindings; however section 4.1.4.1 seems to indicate that all requests must be returned...

Or... Am I misinterpretting and that section is simply referring to idps returning failed responses if the requests can't be interpretted; and putting up the login page is appropriate support for a request; as is sending back a successful response for a valid credential; and any user action taken to move away from the login flow is out of scope...

To put it another way; if an IDP doesn't send back an auth response for events where the user has left the login page; or events such as failed authentication or lockout... But does provide links back to SP sites and does return failed auth response messages to requests that can't be interpretted or are invalid; Are they breaking the saml specs?

Philippe R. Beauchamp
Senior Solutions Architect
Identity & Security Event Management Services
Enterprise Group
Bell Canada
Phone:            613-781-8953
Cell:                 613-327-6928