saml-dev message

Subject: RE: [saml-dev] SAML newbie question - do cross IdP trusts exist inSAML?

Hi Krishna,

Comments in-line.

TH: Currently most of the Kerberos realm-to-realm (KDC-to-KDC) "trust" establishment (read: sharing of symmetric long-term master key) is performed manually or through the use of PKINIT (or Anonymous PKINIT).  Note that MSFT Kerberos in Active Directory do things differently for cross-realm trust.

It would be interesting if there was some simple SAML profile (?) that would allow a KDC#1 to "discover" the capabilities of another KDC#2 and then establish trust with that KDC#2. Perhaps using the metadata structure in SAML.

> > Does this equivalent exist in SAML? All of the examples I see involve a
> > user, a single IdP and an SP.
>
> You're confusing protocols between two parties with trust fabrics that
> potentially can encompass hundreds or thousands of parties. And in SAML any
> exchanges are potentially cross domain because the IdP is the equivalent of
> the KDC.
>
> > In my SAML scenario, there are two IdPs  (IdP1 and IdP2) that trust each
> > other.  User  X is known by IdP1 and  SP  Z trusts IdP2. IdP1 and IdP2
> trust
> > each other.
>
> That's a proxying scenario.

TH: Yes this looks like a direct mapping of cross-realm TGTs concept with the IdP1/IdP2 scenario.  I think the relationship between an IdP and an SP is far more "richer" in contextual information compared to the KDC-to-KDC trust as defined in RFC4120. As Scott mentions, this also looks like proxying, which means it could make use of the S4U extensions of Kerberos.

/thomas/

> > a) What is the protocol sequence here? Given that SPs refer users to an
> > IdP, it's like a reverse Kerberos referral model.  Would SP refer user X
> > to IdP2 who in turn refers X to IdP1 which results then in a security
> > token from IdP1, followed by a security token from IdP2, followed by
> > access to the resource
>
> Yes.

Isn't this just the vanilla use-case scenario for SSO?

/thomas/