saml-dev message

Subject: RE: NHIN Exchange <Subject> question

Eric,

I'm not sure what the issue is that you still have.   The spec only allows a single Subject element within the assertion and that subject applies to all attribute statements within that assertion.

The example you gave with an assertion within an assertion does not change the requirements for each assertion to independently meet the requirements of the specification.

So the Assertions that you placed into the <Evidence> element must be able to validate without the surrounding assertion and therefore need their own Subjects, even if the Subject is the same subject as the surrounding assertion.   There is no inheritance in recursive assertions.

Please note that it's also very possible for the Subjects in the Assertions within the <Evidence> element to be different subjects (for many possible reasons -- different subject confirmations, different identities, etc.).

Conor

-----Original Message-----
From: Eric Heflin [mailto:eheflin@medicity.com]
Sent: Tuesday, January 11, 2011 1:25 PM
To: Cantor, Scott E.; saml-dev@lists.oasis-open.org
Subject: [saml-dev] RE: NHIN Exchange <Subject> question

All,

This issue is highly important to the NHIN Exchange.  It is currently blocking a state health information exchange from joining the NHIN Exchange, and two vendors (perhaps more) are in a holding pattern depending on the authoritative resolution to this issue.

What is the proper path for getting a consensus initial opinion and ultimately an authoritative statement on this (and some closely related) topics?

Would it be helpful if I provided revised SAML text intended to replace the existing text?

Eric Heflin
Dir of Standards and Interoperability
Medicity
THE Standard for Meaningful HIE.