saml-dev message

Subject: SAML Authentication doubt

I understood that when a user tries to access SP, if assertion is not present he is redirected to IDP for authentication, but in the same browser if I login into IDP first and than try to access SP, I get access to my SP for the same user, not able to understand what information is actually shared between this two domain in the browser, is it happening through some cookie, or as usual a call is going to IDP from SP and coming back with the assertion of logged in user?

--
Thanks & Regards
Phalguni Mukherjee