saml-dev message

Subject: Re: [saml-dev] Attribute equality during AttributeQuery

Thanks for your help, there is only one thing now that I struggle with a little bit:
how do you determine which profile is being used?
In the Attribute Authority metadata it is possible to list the supported AttributeProfiles, however that's only a MAY in the spec (SAML profile 6.5).

I'm thinking that it is up to the Attribute Authority to say which Attribute Profile it supports, so let's assume that my Attribute Authority supports the Basic profile. Now if this AA receives an AttributeQuery with an Attribute that has no NameFormat defined, then per the Basic profile I should do the comparison only using the Name attribute, right?

(or is this the wrong way around and I should look at the received NameFormat, determine which profile it belongs to, and then use the comparison rules corresponding to that NameFormat when the AA wants to determine whether it can collect the requested Attributes for the AttributeQuery?)

If my AA supports more than one attribute profile for the sake of complexity, how should it determine which profile's attribute name comparison rules it should use?

In other words is there a way to tell from an attribute query which attribute profile should be used, or is this something the server should decide on its own?

Thanks,
Peter