saml-dev message

Subject: Re: X.500/LDAP attribute profile

Bringing this conversation with myself to a close:

* Peter Schober <peter.schober@univie.ac.at> [2015-03-19 11:30]:
> To rephrase my question -- section 2.4 of that profile says:
>
>   To represent the encoding rules in use for a particular attribute's
>   values, the <Attribute> element MUST contain an XML attribute named
>   Encoding defined in the XML namespace
>   urn:oasis:names:tc:SAML:2.0:profiles:attribute:X500."
>
> I guess my question was if I didn't intend to
> "represent the encoding rules in use for a particular attribute's values"
> whether I could still claim conformance with that profile.
> I.e., reading the spec as "If you want to represent the encoding do X",
> leaving the option of not doing X if I didn't need to represent the
> encoding.

I guess I can forget about that option, as I see this in the MACE-Dir
Attribute Profiles:

  "With two significant exceptions, the syntax rules defined by the
  SAML 2.0 X.500/LDAP attribute profile [SAML-X500] are to be applied
  [...]
  The first exception is that the XML attribute named Encoding defined
  by that profile is NOT specified for use with this profile."

So I'll likely have to either to the same or only reference individual
sections from [SAML-X500] in my own profile.
-peter