Subject: Re: [sca-assembly] ISSUE 8 - Artifact resolution - proposal V5

Ashok,

Thinking about this further, I think that the algorithm that Ashok proposes has some problems:

- it seems strange that the use of the "location" attribute should affect the order of searching
in effect, overriding of a local artifact is done if a location is specified, but overriding is not possible
if the location is unspecified.

- the proposal definitely allows for overriding of artifacts that are present in the importing
contribution - but the "control" of this is done in a peculiar way through the use or non-use of the
location attribute.

BTW - I also note that from the F2F we decided not to allow overriding, so the proposal goes
back on an agreement that I thought that we had.

I think that these things should be separated, and so I propose the following:

1. Control of overriding

I prefer overriding to be explicit.

I propose that we introduce a new attribute on an <import/>, called @override, with
values "noOverride" and "Override".

When an import statement has @override=noOverride, then any artifacts (in the specified namespace)
must first be searched for in the source contribution and import locations are only searched for artifacts
that cannot be found.

When an import statement has @override=Override, any artifacts (in the specified namespace) must
first be searched for in the import locations specified and the source contribution is only searched if
the artifacts cannot be found.

2. Control of locations to search for artifacts

The <import/> declaration has an optional @location attribute.  Where a location attribute is used, it
points to a specific location from which artifacts in the specified namespace must be obtained.

Where a location attribute is not specified, the locations which are searched for artifacts from the specified
namespace are all of the contributions in the Domain which have export declarations for the namespace.
The order of search, if there is more than one, is implementation defined (this is only of relevance if there
the same artifact is defined twice in different contributions).